Reduce : Reuse : Recycle
Our Ecologically Sound Efforts...
We understand our business relies upon a healthy ecosystem. We are re-investing in the natural capital upon which our business and the planet depend. Making the air, water, and land cleaner, healthier, and more ecologically sound is a part of our business.
Zia makes strong efforts to tread lightly as it relates to our day-to-day operations.
Some of our Guidelines:
- Reduce the amount and toxicity of trash you throw away and reuse containers and products.
- Recycle as much as possible and buy products with recycled content.
- Practice composting by using microorganisms (mainly bacteria and fungi) to decompose organic waste, such as food scraps and yard trimmings.
Some examples of Zia’s Initiatives:
- Incorporate multi-use plates, forks, spoons, knives, and glasses for serving.
- All kitchen scraps go to local farms to feed chickens
- Zia purchases Bicycles for employees, in hope they ride these bikes to work & around town
- Use of recycled materials in building
- Recycle Daily: Cardboard, Glass, Plastic, Paper, and Tin (tons each year)
- Use of recycle-able serving pans for catering
- Use buckets and crates for harvesting and storage of locally-raised food
- No Plastic bags – we supply re-usable cloth bags
- Used vegetable oil from fryers is given to local reuse program
- Light fixtures are high-efficiency compact-florescent fixtures and bulbs
- Use of post-consumer paper products – napkins & paper towels
- Water savers installed on all water faucets
- We have 2 greenhouses and 1 hoop house for growing vegetables
- We purchase food from local growers and ranchers, in part to reduce transportation, and in part because of the organic practices they use to grow their crops and raise their animals
- Install paper towel dispenser which precut paper, reducing consumption
- Have our lights on timers to reduce energy consumption